Friday, June 22, 2007

Fat Far

So, this is probably the most Wisconsin thing I'm going to do all summer so I suppose I should blog about it, eh?

Last weekend was Fat Far (happens every year on Father's Day, so sorry to the shafted Dads). People get together with friends and copious amounts of beer and float down a river on rented inner tubes or on various home-made contraptions (that usually sink, may I add). Floating down a river sounds relaxing, right?

It's not. But what it *is* is fun.

First off, you have to drive up there then coordinate everything, and get all the tubes and coolers and cars and friends in the right spot. Then you gotta get everything in the river and tied all up together. Then you gotta hide from people flinging water ballons and such. Of course there's the general yelling and flirting with random radio DJs (uhm.......not like I actually did that.....*ahem*). And then, as a bonus from last year, there was jumping-off-a-large-rock-outcropping which was 100% r0><0r (sorry, random l33t speak).

You start out at a bar (called Loopy's which amuses me) then take a bus up to the drop-off point and set off. It takes 2-3 hours to let the current carry you back down to the bar where you can pull out of the water and hang out on shore. Then we went back to the hotel and screwed around in the pool for a while, had the best pizza hut pizza EVAR (we had missed lunch.......maybe that's why 3 beers made me loopy on the river) and then went to bed at a fairly reasonable time in the most artic-like hotel room I've ever been in.

The fabulous part is that I particpated in the rock-jumping, got a tan (ok, a burn, but it's turning into a tan) so I'm not so "Wisconsin White" anymore, and plus I just looked fab in my new camo and gold chain bikini :)

Now this weekend it's off to the Finnish Solstice party, the weekend after that is a 4th of July celebration (read - campfire and beer), then comes the Second Annual Deep Fry Party, then it's the WI River canoe trip, then...........well, then maybe I'll have a weekend to rest.

Maybe.

Or perhaps I'll organize a lets-go-downtown-and-raise-hell outing that weekend instead :)

No comments: