Thursday, August 23, 2007

Canning - it is the hippest old woman thing to do since knitting

I couldn't have written the canning post half as good as 11Frogs. It was a masterpiece.
However, I will tell you that I spent the week telling everyone at my customer site about how I was canning this weekend and would be doing it next weekend too. They were a bit surprised I think. (I am a real ball buster at work...)

I also experienced this bizarre high all week from the knowledge that I stored food for the winter. My insides get all squishy and I get a little wild eyed thinking about what I will do with my pressure canner this weekend. I may or may not be a giant squirrel.

I even woke up in the middle of the night in my hotel room this week worried that because I put oil in my recipe my canning would be ruined (as I read another recipe that strongly warned against it). But, I looked up the recipe and it said oil so I am fine.

Domesticity is cool. If the country's infrastructure is destroyed I feel confident that I can live off the land. (with the help of a close by Farm and Fleet store).

2 comments:

11frogs said...

Yeah, I just spent another few hours making pesto and food from the CSA veggies and banana bread. And I LOVE it. I never get tired of puttering in the kitchen. Moral of the story: I need to find me a farm boy with some land and a plow to dig me up a big ol' garden.

KittyWithClaws said...

Ya know, I was thinking about doing this the other week. You gotta invite me if you ever do this again!