Friday, January 25, 2008

Restaurant Review: Sophia's Bakery and Cafe

The posting on this blog has recently gone to shit. This isn't only my fault as there are like five other contributers, but still I feel a bit guilt as I am sure I am your favorite.
he he.

So, a quick review of a Madison restaurant to kick us back off with the posting.

Sophia's Bakery and Cafe- a group of us (not unlike the Sex and the City girls, but without a lot of sex...which reminds me of my very sad pledge to be harder to get in 08) went out for brunch last Sunday. Sophie's on East Johnson was our choice.
Atmosphere - if you are looking for that authentic east side thing, well, this is it. Apparently when it gets busy people just sit down at your table. And, it wouldn't have to get very busy to make this happen as the place is the size of my dining room and living room together, but with the kitchen taking up the entire living room part. However, for eclectic but not as crowded I prefer Lazy Jane's on Willy St.
Food - I got the mushroom omelette - good, little greasy, the sweet potatoes in the homestyle potatoes were a pleasant surprise. And an apple tart - pastry was salty and not as sweet as I would have liked. I ate the entire thing though...
Other got cherry crepes (just as decadent as they sound) and a black bean omelette that was surprising. It was hearty and tasty.
Overall - only open on Saturday and Sunday for brunch, quirky with interesting and good food.

3 comments:

wb said...

The first time I experienced Sofia's was with my hipster ex-girlfriend. It is exactly the type of place I wished I lived across the street from (which she did, or does (?)). I may have let our relationship linger longer than it should have because I liked having Sunday brunch at Sofia's.

wb said...

And I guess I just spelled Sophia's wrong, twice.

R said...

Visit http://www.madisonrestaurantreviews.com to see a Madison metro area site with detailed reviews and pictures with at least 1 new restaurant review each week.