Sunday, July 15, 2007

a brief shopping tour in Madison

Furniture Shopping - here are some of your options and my opinions:

Steinhafels - a great classic. I feel that this can't be beat for high quality and a classic to conservative selection. Many 8 way hand tied pieces, lots of warranties on frame, mechanics, fabric, etc. You can customize most of the furniture with different fabrics. Their sales seem a bit lame, but regular. The furniture is some of the more expensive in Madison. cookies and coffee in the showroom.

American - furniture, but also sells appliances and tvs. I find the selection to be... well, lower end looking, but their stuff seems pretty study and affordable. I bought my mattress set and entertainment center there. they are doing fine as of right now. - overall, gives me a bachelor man vibe.

Ashley- without a question, cheap. But, the quality is not bad and durability impressive for such inexpensive furniture. No options though, what you see is what you get. My leather couch is from Ashley, 700 bucks. good deal for something that I plan on moving to the basement before long anyhow. I have had it for a year or two and it isn't broken, the seats aren't sagging, and no leather damage.

Twisted Twig - umm, you know those people that get a theme idea for a room and go completely literal with it? Yeah, these people did it with the cabin thing. If you want an "Up North" room, head here. I only found one thing that I could even picture in my home:


Century House - This store focuses on Scandanavian furniture. If that style will work in your house, then you should definitely head over. Their stuff is beautiful. There is also an adorable Century House gift shop next door. Seems like a great place to head when you need a birthday present.

Don's Home Furniture - This store focuses nearly completely on wood furniture. Not a huge upholstered selection. But, their stuff all has the maker indicated and seems of very high quality. I found a couple dressers that I wanted, but it is a bit expensive, so nothing has made its way into my home yet.

If you have suggestions for stores for me to review, please comment and I will make every effort to visit and write them up here.

1 comment:

11frogs said...

What about Rubin's? I've heard they have nice stuff, but I haven't been in there since college, when I walked in, looked at a price tag, and promptly bolted. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing today, but curious about how the niceness-to-price ratio would look to older eyes.